Tuesday, October 21, 2014

PLUGGED IN, TUNED OUT

PLUGGED IN, TUNED OUT: Making personal connections in a digital age

As a college student, I frequently notice people walking around with their earphones around campus. Listening to music makes the everyday walk to class a little less banal. In fact, depending on the day's playlist it can be an entirely new experience. A few weeks ago, one of my favorite former professors guest lectured about music in my Survey of Contemporary Media class. At one point, he pulled up a video from the point-of-view of someone walking somewhere with earphones in. He rhythmically spoke about what the journey was like listening to music, even including a new song with the new day. The new song had a completely different tone and rhythm than the first one, showing how much music can affect our perception what we are viewing.

I would say many people choose to listen to music on their way to class for the same reasons you would listen to it in the car or at the gym. Listening to music is enjoyable, it makes things a little less boring, and it can change your mood. The trouble is the minute we plug in, we tune out the world around us. 

 The other day I was talking about it with one of my roommates and she noticed that when she was running without earphones she was able to take in the beauty of the scenery and appreciate it much more than when she was listening to music. She had little interactions with other people walking around in the same area. When she saw people with earphones in they were much more likely to be focused on one point, and it seemed like they were "in their own world" so to speak. 

Walking around campus, I see the same thing. Even sitting in a lecture hall before class I see a few people talking to those around them. Others are scrolling through one social media app or another on their smart phones. And still others are plugged in, sometimes tapping a foot or nodding their head along to the beat. 

Don't get me wrong, I am not against technology. And I am certainly not anti-music. I love listening to music, and I think it is really a neat concept that we can bring it essentially anywhere we go. However, I cannot help but think about what we might be missing by being so plugged in, and tuned out to the world around us. I think there is a time and a place for being plugged in. For some people listening to music can help them concentrate on certain tasks, or it can help pass the time doing something boring. But the more we are engrossed in technology, the more we eliminate the chance for serendipitous moments. 

If you were to dig in to the archive of this blog, you might find that I am a huge proponent of serendipity. In fact, at one point I called this blog "A Series of Fortunate Accidents." When we are more interested in what is going on in the "twittersphere" than the real-world we miss out. One of my favorite quotes is "Enjoy the little things, for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things."The seemingly small moments can make a big difference. What if the person you were sitting next to in lecture could have been a future relationship if you had to make awkward small talk that one day before class? Or what if you were supposed to meet your future best friend because you guys took the same route every day? And if you're thinking those moments wouldn't happen anyway, because you don't randomly talk to strangers, I challenge you to change that. 

PLUGGED IN, TUNED OUT: Making personal connections in a digital age

Recently, I read an article called "Why You Should Always Talk to People in Elevators". The name intrigued me, because it seems like such a strange concept. Why would I talk to someone that I don't know and will only be in the same space as for such a short amount of time? By the end I was convinced, and I am determined to strike up a random conversation in an elevator, no matter how awkward it might be. My favorite part was, "I think we have to create situations that allow those unexpected opportunities to find us."

My challenge for you is to spend at least one week unplugged. By that I mean whenever you are out in public make a conscious effort to not have earphones in, try to avoid using your phone when you don't need to, and make an effort to have spontaneous conversations with people around you. Whether you are a college student, a business person, or a momma blogger I challenge you to make meaningful connections with the people around you. Let your battery recharge, while you spend a little extra time with the special ones in your life. Resist the temptation to see if anyone commented or "liked" your photo yet. Listen to the sounds of the buzzing city or the natural life around you. Serendipity might have a wonderful surprise for you if you give it a chance.

Life is beautiful. Enjoy it through your senses, not just through the filters you can select on your smartphone.

How's your week going so far?


42 comments:

  1. I think if I didn't have a blog, I'd be able to go a week. I think ;) It's really hard for me to find a balance between scheduling out posts/social media so that I can take time away from the screen and actually keeping up with my blogger friends! grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen so much of this unplugged talk lately, and I LOVE IT. I've been doing it more often. Mainly because I want to connect with the people I'm hanging out with on a regular basis. And, as soon as my husband comes home from work - I step away from the computer and talk to him, not ignore him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully-written post, and one that reflects both of our personal philosophies. Kudos to you for spreading that awareness! I think that playing music is great when it enhances the situation - e.g. being the 'soundtrack to life', like cheesy 80's when you're driving down the highway with the top/windows down... but other times, it's better to just let your natural environment dictate the soundtrack.. and script. ;)

    Great post, and love the ending line. <3

    xo,
    lauriel
    EyeForElegance.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I don't know if I could unplug for an entire week but I did do it for a weekend last month and I must say it was quite enjoyable. I'm definitely down for the challenge though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I run lately, I listen to the same song the entire time (3-6 miles) which is forever, but it makes the music drown out and then I can just go into the zone. Such a thoughtful post. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a great post, Im in college as well and my boyfriend walks to and from class with ear buds in. It drives me bananas because sometimes when we meet up to walk back to the car together he still has them in.... Like hello!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post. If I walk or jog I need music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's very true, we have our heads in our phones allll day long. Sometimes I make a point to just look out the window when I'm on a bus or whatever, just to enjoy the beauty of my surroundings :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post and I love that quote! I am totally inspired to take the time make more connections with people.
    Ashley
    http://ashleygabrielle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I make it a point to interact with people as much as I can but as you said most people are plugged in and tuned out

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that statement! It's so true that we're always plugged in. Did you know that when wearing headphones, we are also less spatially (is that the right spelling?!) aware? I have the music going out of my speakers all day at work! It's a shame because in London, people just don't talk to each other. You get on any public transport and people just don't speak!


    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck with your challenge, I really need to begin unplugging too. I sometimes feel like my phone is taking over my life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I understand! You should try "Hootsuite!" You can schedule your social media posts. That way you don't have to be glued to your social media all day, and you can still have a great presence. I use mine for Twitter and Facebook primarily. But I know you can do more. There are even apps online like that for Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it,too! I think it is so important. It makes me happy that it has made an impression on you. it is so important to spend the time you have with your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much! I definitely get what you are saying. I love music, too. Like I said, I just wish it wouldn't be a barrier for people sometimes. :)


    Glad you enjoyed that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! Glad you tried it out before. Last year I went completely unconnected from social media, my computer, and my phone for one weekend. It is tough! They have become such a normal part of our lives, now. But I think there are definitely benefits to taking a break, and it really puts things in perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a good idea! Thank you. I am glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you! That is annoying. Maybe if you mentioned something to him about it, he would be more aware that he is doing it? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you! I get that. For exercise is one thing, I suppose. In general, though, I have been more conscious about it when I am walking around for the purpose of getting somewhere. It has been nice so far.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good! It is important to pay attention to the beauty that is around us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so glad it inspired you! That makes my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am glad to hear that. Let's be the people that change that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you! I believe it. That's how it is in the states, too. I remember going to New York, and in the movies people always make those chance encounters on public transportation. But in real life people are reading, or sleeping, or listening to music!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This makes a lot of sense. It can be very hard for me to just unplug.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I use Buffer to schedule, but I still don't like to leave comments that friends make unattended. I've made my blog about personal interaction, not just type and follow. do you know of one for Pinterest that isn't paid?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I always catch myself checking my phone at times when it can be rude for other people. My biggest one is when I am checking out at the grocery store :/ I also buy so much food so it takes forever to check out and then I am standing there checking my phone. I really need to stop doing that, haha! I am about to go read that elevator article!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a great write up. We have a few rules around our house about when technology is appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I totally know what you mean! Hope you enjoyed the elevator article :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. So true, I'm trying to leave my phone in my pocket more often, but it can be really hard to just unplug when it's become such a deeply ingrained habit!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I get that. I always want to reply to people, too. I haven't looked into it too much. There might not be one, right now. Hopefully in the future there will be a free service like that.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This makes so much sense that said I find it really hard to unplug :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love what you are saying here. It has made me sad to see the shift that technology has caused in the world. When strangers are together, it seems like everyone would rather turn to their phones and scroll around than interact. I don't like it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. thanks so much for the link to the Prince Ea video - fabulously done!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I totally agree! Sometimes I try to keep it out of easy reach. Like I will plug it in across the room or stick it in the back pouch of my backpack. It is hard, but it can help!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you! That is very true, and I don't like it, either. Your comment reminds me of a book called, "Alone Together: Why We Expect More from Technology and Less from Each Other". I haven't actually read it, but a friend told me about it, and it is all about how we spend more time with our phones and technology now then the people around us.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This could not be more true. I've really been trying to cut myself off of social media a bit. My fiance got a chance to go on a date the other night after about a month of no date night because we had been busy and I seriously checked my phone 10 times throughout the night. I was really upset with myself after!

    ReplyDelete
  38. It is a good idea to limit yourself! It is so tempting to go on your phone during pauses in conversation or just out of habit. Try deleting or logging out of your social media apps for a little while. It can really help! Then you are forced to pay attention to the current moment, rather than mindlessly scroll Twitter or whatever it may be.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The elevator thing would be so awesome! So fun even tho scary to put yourself out there! Great post!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...