Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Currently

What's new in the Life in the Lost and Found Bin?

Week one of sophomore year. Check. 
Loss of time management skills. Check. 
Updating Life in the Lost and Found Bin. Oops.

Today I am linking up over at A Mama Collective. I was actually inspired to do so after reading Jessica's "Collective" recently on Seeking Individuality. 

 
Thinking About// What I want to do with the rest of my life. The beginning of a new semester is always interesting. You meet new people, which leads to awkward small talk--which, in turn, leads to "so what's your major?" As I am undecided, answering this question is always interesting. Sometimes I say something like, "I want to do communication arts--the Film, TV, Radio track, and possibly double that with Strategic Communications through the Journalism school." For classmates who understand the majors better I might say, "Comm arts and strat comm through the J-School"--because short lingo is always way more fun. But more often than not, I simply reply "I am studying film and advertising." It is a a concise and understandable version of what I am considering the most. As I live a Life in the Lost and Found Bin, I don't have it all figured out. But it is nice to have ideas about what I am most passionate about.

Excited For// This weekend I am going home for a friend's wedding. I cannot believe one of my friends from high school is already getting married, but I am so happy for her, and I cannot wait to see her walking down the aisle. It will also be nice to be home for a weekend, even if it is a little earlier in the semester than I anticipated.

Reading// Class readings. So many class readings. My classes this semester all involve a large chunk of reading. It is obvious I won't be doing to much reading-for-pleasure this semester. The other downside of this semester is I have a lot of course-required writing, which that leaves less time for writing things like blog posts and short stories. My goal is to keep up reading a few blogs every day, and writing a post at least twice a week. Cross-my-fingers it works out.

Watching// I have been attempting to keep up with the end of my favorite reality show, Big Brother. Given that I spend most of my time reading and doing homework now, there is not much extra time to watch TV. When I have watched anything, it has been mostly for social enjoyment. After the football game on Saturday, my roommates and I came back and crashed on the couch to watch She's the Man. The only thing that might have been funnier than Amanda Byne's at her best was one of my roommates constantly complaining about how unrealistic it was. We had to keep reminding her many movies are not known for their realism, as they are often imaginary events.

Listening to// "One Night Town" by Ingrid Michaelson feat. Mat Kearney. This song made my summer a little cheerier. A good friend told me he swoons every time Ingrid sings, "Ooh Ooh Ooh Ooh." These two are some of my favorite. I have even seen Ingrid and Mat at two different Basilica Block Parties. In my opinion, the singer-songwriter genre of this decade culminates in this uplifting duet.



A Mama Collective
 

What have you been up to lately?

8 comments:

  1. I know! They really can take the fun out of reading, especially since they are so wordy and dense. At least I enjoy what I am studying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also ask myself this question: What I want to do with the rest of my life? and right now, I am not quite sure. I am a mom, a wife, a caretaker, but as for work... I am just not sure that I want to keep doing what I am doing or where I am. Thanks for making me think a little :)

    Good luck with your classes!!

    -Stopping by from the Link Up. I am Becky with Choose Happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the same boat as you. First few weeks of sophomore year and horrible time management skills. I'm definitely going to be working on a new time management system because I am wayyy too busy! I've never done a currently post, although I've seen so many around the blogosphere. I think I'm going to join in on the next one :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a busy time! Currently posts are really cool. It's fun to see what other people are up to, and it gives you a chance to learn a little more about them. You should try it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am happy it got you thinking. That is the goal behind most of what I write on here. :) At any point in your life, if you are unhappy or unsure about what you are doing, it is definitely time to take a step back and reevaluate what you want. If only it was as simple as knowing what you want and having it once you decided. Good luck in finding what makes you happy!


    And thank you for the kind word and wishes about classes. Glad you stopped by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whattt Ingrid Michaelson AND Mat Kearney together?! How have I not heard of this?! I don't listen to a lot of Ingrid, but I am obsessed with everything by Mat Kearney! So great! I'm also hoping to post twice a week like you! I feel like balancing college and blogging is a challenge, but can be doable! :) I hope you have a great weekend girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE Mat Kearney! I feel like twice a week is manageable--hopefully! Hope you have a great weekend, as well, Gina :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...