Friday, August 22, 2014

Friday Favorites

Yesterday was one of my favorite days of the year: the day that I go to the Minnesota State Fair. I don't so much like the overabundance of people and dirty surroundings (as it was the first day, it really wasn't that bad--the real filth rolls in around the last few days of the Great Minnesota Get Together). However, I am a big fan of food. Isn't everyone?

I don't know about other state fairs, but in Minnesota we apparently like things deep fried and on a stick. Is that pretty normal? I guess it is America, after all--the land where McDonald's is the number one food-chain, and companies have convinced us that two patties on a burger is obviously better than one. It's sad really, but that's a topic for another day. Today I want to talk about food, and how much I look forward to my favorite Fair-Foods. 

A couple of years ago I wrote a post called "Can I have that deep fried on a stick?" There's one part that still remains true, and probably always will--and that is the 3 things you can guarantee at the Minnesota State Fair.


So today, I want to share some of my favorite treats at the fair. 

//ONE//
Sweet Martha's Cookies 
Sweet Martha's Cookies are everyone's favorite (and by everyone I mean everyone I associate with, because I don't understand how we could be friends if you didn't love these gooey-bites of chocolate-chip heaven). They are warm, fresh, and if you do it right, served with an ice-cold glass of milk. Yum. 



//TWO//
Fudge Puppy
What is a fudge puppy? Only a Belgian waffle on a stick covered in chocolate, with whipped topping and sprinkles. In one word: delicious.

//THREE//
Deep-Fried Candy Bar 
I have to admit I was a skeptic for years. I mean who needs to deep fry an already sugary fatty substance? But it turns out deep-fried Reese's Peanutbutter cups are kind of amazing. Sadly, I didn't get one this year, but seeing as I ate plenty of other unhealthy foods, my blood sugar is probably thanking me for refraining. 

//FOUR//
Pronto Pup 
A pronto pup is like a corndog, but better. I really couldn't tell you what makes them so much tastier, other than the batter on this dog must be prepared with a much better recipe, because they always have me coming back for more. 

//FIVE//
 Corn on the Cob
This corn is fresh, flavorful and fantastic. It's hard to look at other cobs the same way, because I have tasted the savory delight that awaits near the Grand Stand. But beware: you will be in need of dental floss afterward. My parents have always talked about how they should open a stand selling floss next-door. However, since that plan was never put into motion, it's best to come prepared or remember to snag a toothpick before you leave.

//SIX//
 Fresh Fries
These are often simply referred to as "Fair Fries" by Minnesotans. Ah, Fair Fries. They are fresh, and live up to their reputation of being some of the best fries in the state. However, I witnessed the beginning of my four-year-old sister becoming a fry-snob when she refused to eat them, because they were not from Honey and Mackie's. That's right, folks. You heard it here first, Fresh Fries has some stiff competition. Maybe you can settle the dispute by stopping in and seeing what all the fuss is about Honey and Mackie's fries.

//SEVEN//
Bacon on a Stick
This was the food that I originally thought looked gross, because I am a self-proclaimed anti-aficionado of bacon. What does that mean? I am not that big of a fan. In fact, you might go as far as to say that I don't like it. Gasp! Did I just say that I don't like bacon? Sorry, guys. (Unless you don't like bacon, too. In that case, let's be friends!) But I have to admit this thick-cut bacon was pretty tasty. With that being said, it's definitely not my new favorite thing at the fair, and I continue to keep living a relatively bacon-free lifestyle.


What do you like to eat the fair? Do you have any new favorites this year?

2 comments:

  1. We're headed to our state fair tonight! Can't wait to get some of that fair food goodness in my belly. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds fun! I hope you had some good treats. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...