Monday, December 8, 2014

WHY I HAVE A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH COFFEE SHOPS

WHY I HAVE A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH COFFEE SHOPS

First off, I am not sure I actually like coffee. I have had a pretty steady relationship with coffee for the past year-and-half or so. Sometimes it seems like things are going really well. I find the right coffee with just the right flavor. But the next day I do something like skimp on the creamer, and my whole day is ruined (That might be a bit of exaggeration, but it's definitely a bummer). In the past couple months I have read several articles suggesting I kick caffeine to the curb. And while I know it's probably the best thing to do, I keep going back to it time after time. I know it's wrong. It's not good for my health, and it keeps me awake at night. But what's a girl to do? It seems to be there for me when I really need it, so how do I let it go?

If we're being honest, the caffeine fix isn't the only thing I am looking for out of coffee. I like having something to sip on, especially when I am writing. I like that drinking coffee makes me feel part of a closer-knit group of bloggers that really enjoy coffee for some odd reason. And I like that coffee gives me an excuse to spend time in coffee shops.

There are many reasons I have a love/hate relationship with coffee shops. Here are a few of them:

The atmosphere 

WHY I HAVE A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH COFFEE SHOPS
Tumblr

Love:

I love the feeling of being in a coffee shop. For some reason it makes me feel more creative. At home my creativity can go stale, because it is the same environment day after day. I need something stimulating, and coffee shops definitely fit in that realm.

Hate:

I hate that other people share this affinity towards coffee shops, and it is often hard to find somewhere to sit. In fact, as I write this I'm wedged in a an awkward crevice at table that has just enough room for my computer, coffee cup and over-sized bagel plate. Oh, and it's by the door. So every time anyone goes in or out of this place the cold draft hits me, reminding me that I live in one of the coldest cities in America.

The coffee

WHY I HAVE A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH COFFEE SHOPS
Fodor's

Love: 

Like I said, I'm not sure if I really like coffee. And I guess part of that is based on what you define as coffee. Your coffee might be black, or it might have a little half & half or sugar. Mine usually includes a great deal of creamer or added flavors that make it taste less like coffee. Regardless, there is something about the act of drinking coffee that I really enjoy. It also makes me feel mature--perhaps, even sophisticated--when I drink it.


Hate:

This pains me to say, but I usually don't like coffee from cute coffee shops. If I am going to pay $3-4--even $5--for a cup of coffee it better be great coffee. When I occasionally get a Starbucks or Caribou drink, I know I am going to pay too much money to get a caffeinated beverage. But I also know that I am going to enjoy it. Yet time after time, I try out the little local shops, because they have vintage records on their walls or baristas that could have just gotten off from a shift at Urban Outfitters. And time after time, I am thoroughly disappointed, because their coffee tastes too much like coffee (This is also really hard for me to admit, because I really want to like coffee. It's just not working out for me).

The music

WHY I HAVE A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH COFFEE SHOPS
People

Love:

Coffee shop music soothes me. It's calming, and not distracting. Plus, it's usually indie music that serves as a great contrast to the top 40 hits on the radio. There are even Spotify playlists dedicated to coffee shop music. My favorite is "Your Favorite Coffeehouse."


Hate:

Sometimes the music is so obscure that there's a reason no one's ever heard of it. Also, I want to be calm, but some of this stuff could put me to sleep.

The people

WHY I HAVE A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP WITH COFFEE SHOPS
Preo

Love:

People-watching is by far one of my favorite activities in coffee shops. I'm not talking about the college campus shop full of girls getting their Starbucks on. The best coffee shops are filled with creatives and twenty-somethings looking intellectual and chatting over Cherry Biscottis. Or ignoring each other over scholarly readings or their graduate theses, instead of scrolling on their iPhones.

Hate:

Like I mentioned before, it is a bit overwhelming when there are too many people at any given time. For one thing it is a bit overstimulating and distracting--especially since I prefer to sit without headphones in a coffee shop to really appreciate the whole experience. How else I am supposed to hear the music I have a love/hate relationship with? Or the squeal of the espresso machine that reminds me why people keep piling in? Side note: I love babies. I don't love babies in coffee shops.




35 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE coffee shops. Pretty much for all the same reasons too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis of StyleLogicalDecember 8, 2014 at 5:52 PM

    I can relate. I always go to cute coffee shops for the cute coffee, but really if I'm gonna drink coffee I'm usually just fine with a local coffee stand! I live in the Northwest near Seattle so all the coffee is good anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when you want to sit and work and EVERYONE and their mother wants to as well. No seats for you! :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have all of these same love/hate things about coffee shops AND I used to work at one! I thought I was weird ha ha! I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't usually go to coffee shops, Typically just run into starbucks if I want a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not been to a coffee shop since college but I would love to check out some local ones to go to and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooh that's awesome! I will have to try the coffee if I ever go out there. I usually just make coffee from my Keurig, because I know exactly how I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the worst! I usually go there with a purpose--I don't just want overpriced coffee to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always thought it would be so cool to work at one haha. I am glad you could relate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely should! I feel so much more creative in coffee shops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always feel like I'm not cool enough to go to those cute coffee shops. Ya know, a thirty something mom of three...lol. I am with you on the coffee thing...mine cannot taste like coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I understand 100%. I don't even drink caffeine but sometimes I want to feel cool enough to hang out at a coffee shop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL I definitely understand the love/hate....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haha this is so funny. I don't generally go to coffee shops to sit and go on my laptop or anything. I think it's really lovely when people do though. I don't know why! lol


    Katie <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so true! I feel like this time of year especially coffee shops get so crowded! There's never a place to sit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wish coffee shops were larger so I could enjoy the atmosphere. I can't remember a time when I sat and had a relaxing cup of coffee in one... I typically smush in, grab my cup and go!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have that feeling as well. WAY too many people in my favorite coffee shop. Which it's a shame because I want to spend time there, but it's forces me to leave when I can't find a seat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's such a bummer! All I want to do is pretend to enjoy my coffee and get some work done.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree! It's so nice to be in that atmosphere, rather than just stuck at home all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's the worst! It's nice to be there for a while, but I wish everyone else would just hurry up and leave, right? haha

    ReplyDelete
  21. I keep wishing that I coudl find a coffee shop to hang out in when my kids are at school. But I'm pretty limited in my small town. There is a tea room. Maybe I'll try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. YES about the coffee tasting like coffee issue. I'm trying to learn to be more sophisticated and enjoy "good" coffee but for me "good coffee" is "coffee with a lot of sugar." Maybe someday we will move past the lattes and get there! I have faith!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I never realized that I do have a love/hate relationship with coffee shops. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this!! Even though I just wrote a post about a coffee shop I found and loved while traveling, I totally agree with many of your loves and hates, especially the awkward spaces and having someplace to sit. This post was so interesting and made me realize that although I do like coffee, I'm not a huge fan of the caffeine rush and other things about it. Thanks for posting, Taylor!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Too many great points! I love people watching too - I'm not a coffee drinker but a coffee shop is one of the best places to people watch!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooh that sounds great, too. You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haha I am glad I am not the only one! We can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I will have to check out your post about the coffee shop you found! I'm glad you liked the post! I was just sitting in one a week ago, and it inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  28. They really are a great place for people watching. There are so many interesting types of people that you can find in a coffee shop!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is all so true. I am completely agreeing with you about the people! I tend to get extremely distracted in a busy coffee shop.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So true!! I wish I could always work at coffee shops but they're always SO crowded!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...