Friday, March 29, 2013

Pre-life Crisis

To Whom It May Concern:

Some people experience what is come to be known as a “mid-life crisis.” Others of us stumble upon a pre-life crisis. It’s what happens when you know you’re starting a new chapter of your life, but you don’t know how to start it. In a sense, it’s like staring at blinking cursor on an empty Word document, praying for inspiration. The problem with that is a blank page won’t give you any inspiration. I believe in creating your own destiny. Living a life in the Lost and Found Bin isn’t about waiting to find yourself, it’s about going out and figuring out what defines you.

Stop looking in the lost and found bin for something you lost, and start looking for something that you never thought of before. It’s not stealing. In fact, some of the best inspiration can come from somebody else. Some people call it a muse. I call it rediscovering your imagination. While another person can give you the basis for a new idea, it’s your responsibility to run with it and make it into something real.

Lately, all of my time goes to figuring out where I want to go to college. I dedicate my brain power to wondering if I’ll make the right decision--if I’ll be happy. Who knows? Maybe I’ll get there and decide I hate it. But maybe it will end up being the best time of my life. And there’s a possibility that I’ve been putting too much time into thinking about this. I could be over-thinking it. It’s a habit of mine, over-thinking things. I attribute that quality to the writer within me.

Writers think a lot. If we didn’t, we might not have anything to say. And sometimes I don’t have anything to say. Like I alluded to before, I spend a lot of time with blank pages and blinking cursors. For the record, it has never given me any inspiration. How could it?

So this is my pre-life crisis. I’m sifting through the details, trying to decide where I want to spend the next four years.

I’ll keep you posted.

Sincerely,
Unencumbered Rambler

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...