Monday, February 12, 2018

SEND TO: MINNESOTA, RE: OUR BREAKUP

Draft: Feb. 12 3:35 p.m. 

Dear Minnesota,

There's something I've been wanting to talk to you about for a while. It's something that's hard for me to admit. So please, just hear me out.


Breaks are dumb. But our break has made me realize, taking a break doesn't mean a relationship is irreparable. In fact, I believe our love can be stronger than ever.

I know it's cliche -- the whole "not knowing what you have until you've lost it." But it's true. I chose to move away during an incredibly confusing time in my life.

I was young, dumb and in love with the idea of experiencing something extraordinary. And I thought to do that, I needed to move away.

Now, I'm left missing the way you made me feel. Being with you made me a better person. I have no doubt that I am who I am because of you. The harsh cold winters made me stronger and more tolerant. The change of the seasons made me remember nothing lasts forever. The cool summer breeze at night made me -- well, let's be honest, I took that for granted at the time. In Florida, there is no breeze from April-November. It's sticky and humid. Honestly, it makes me cringe thinking about the looming return of the humidity.

But mostly, I'm homesick for the people. God, how I miss the people. Don't get me wrong, I've met some nice people here. And I cherish those friendships. However, people here aren't as aggressively nice or overly apologetic. Minnesota Nice is a thing, people. 

The state we grew up in is forever a part of our identity. It helped mold us into who we are. As a kid, I questioned my parents' choice to build a life in Minnesota. I thought, why would you ever consciously choose to stay in a state that is cold 75% of the year? But I get it now. It only took me moving away to figure that out.

Minnesota, you're not perfect (ex."cold 75% of the year"). But neither am I (ex. moved away). We've made our mistakes. Our timing was off. I wanted to try new things. You were too busy hosting the Super Bowl. But the thing is none of that matters. All that matters is that I know our story isn't over yet.

I've always loved you. And I'm sorry for not telling you sooner. Please, forgive me.


P.s. please, don't forget about me while I'm gone.




1 comment:

  1. Hi, i think that i noticed you visited my website so i got here to go back the desire?.I am attempting to to find issues to
    improve my site!I guess its ok to use some of your concepts!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...