Wednesday, January 7, 2015

GOALS VS. ACCOMPLISHMENTS

 

Lately, I have been extraordinary lazy. I have had all these big ideas about what I want to get done. So many days start with ambition and hope. But then I get tired, and I usually watch Netflix. Friends is now on Netflix, in case you have been living under a rock for the last few months. I am addicted. I used to watch the reruns all the time on Nick at Nite and ABC Family, but it is still funny every time. Plus, this time I am watching them in order. 

In my head my day should go like this: 


7:30 AM: Wake up. Get ready for the day. 
8:00 AM: Make my morning smoothie. 
8:30 AM: Start writing and learning Java Script. 
10:30 AM: Take a mid-morning break (20 minutes or so).
12:00 PM: Lunch time. 
12:30 PM: Resume blogging/writing short stories/scholarship applications. 
2:30 PM: Break. 
3:00 PM: Read a book. 
5:00 PM: Eat dinner/ go out to dinner with friends. 
7:00 PM: Spend time being social. 
10:00 PM: Watch an episode or two of Friends. 
11:00 PM: Go to bed. (And feel accomplished). 

In Reality: 


Between 9:00 AM and 10:30 AM: Wake up. 
Between 10:45 AM and 1:00 PM: Eat some sort of meal. 


Between 1:00 PM and 3:00 PM: Think about being productive. Decide to start later. Turn on Friends. (Maybe even read a couple pages of a book.)
Between 3:30PM and 5:30 PM: Feel bad for not doing anything all day. 
Between 5:30 PM and 7:30 PM: Someone makes dinner. 


Between 8:00 PM and 10:30 PM: Goof around with my little sister and watch something with my family. 
Between 11:00 PM and 12:30 PM: Watch more Friends


So, Taylor. You didn't get anything done, again? 

Now, not every day goes like this. But winter break is somehow half over, and I feel like I have not accomplished anything. I was hoping to get a lot more writing done. Unfortunately, I have not had the motivation or inspiration lately. I want to change that.

This month I have a little more time on my hands than usual, and I want to stick with my writing goals. A few months ago I decided that I wanted to get at least one piece of writing done a week. I was pretty consistent for a while. I was updating my blog more frequently and writing for Her Campus more. With the New Year I would like to make sure I stick with my goals, and I would like to make sure that at least once a month I finish a piece of writing that is not for my blog or Her Campus--or school.

I want to write more fiction. Also, I have thought a lot about it for the last few years, and I want to try my hand in poetry. The last time I wrote a poem was for my creative writing class in the Spring of 2012. And in fact, I think I ended up making it into a song, anyway. My biggest high school regret is not taking that poetry class I almost switched into with one of my favorite teachers my senior year. So this semester my goal is learn to write at least one decent poem.

One of these days I will start actually being productive.

For now, I feel like this:

When my brain feels guilty for not doing anything: Taylor, you should really do something besides watch Netflix and play Trivia Crack.

But then I think: 

I would love to keep writing, but I have a plans with Rachel, Ross, Joey, Phoebe, Chandler, and Monica in a few minutes. Until next time.

What goals have you been putting off? Are you watching Friends, too?

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I totally understand this feeling!! I wish I was watching more of Friends, haha! It's been hard to get done all the things I want to do for the blog, for work, and for extra activities I'm involved in on campus. It gets a little overwhelming. I'm going to try to make my schedule a little bit more like your ideal one though! It'll be tough, but a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand your dilemma. Friends is my all-time favorite show!

    Also, we're neighbors! I blog from Madison too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is overwhelming! Hopefully we will both be able to make the time and accomplish our goals this semester. It will definitely be a challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's such a great show! No way! How fun to meet a blogging neighbor :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...