Monday, August 5, 2013

It's Coming


What’s new? Well, college is coming up—so there’s that. In 23 days I move into the dorm that will be my home for around 9 months. A year ago I posted about being confused about what I wanted to do in a post called “Some Nights (What Do I Stand For)”—yes, like the song. But it had nothing to do with a song. This blog post revealed my inner most personal thoughts about how conflicted I was about what college to choose. Who would have ever guessed I wouldn’t even pick a college until April? I thought I would know right away. People said, “you’ll just know.” Only, I didn’t, and that scared me more than anything. At first, I questioned my decision a lot, but after attending SOAR and getting more and more pumped up for the experience, I know I wouldn’t be happier anywhere else.

I am thrilled about my future roommate. I can’t wait to start some of these classes! And there are so many exciting activities to participate on campus that I want to be a part of. I really do hope that it turns out to be everything that I am dreaming.

So what’s this blog post really about, then? Sorry, sometimes I veer off track a little bit. I wanted to talk about this quote by Nathan Scott*—and other related topics. It’s no secret that I spend a lot of time thinking. In fact, lately I have taken to making jokes about how much I think. Like I’ve said before, I really think it’s a writer thing. I just spend a lot of time in my own head, because there is a lot that goes on in there. I have really been pondering something in particular that I need to get off my chest. A few days ago someone told me that I wouldn’t make a living off writing, and that I shouldn’t go for my passion thinking that I am going to make money after college. 

Maybe I am young, and maybe I am naïve about the world. But is it foolish to want to do what you love? Am I stupid? All right, I’ll bite. Let’s just say that going after my dream will lead to failure. Well, am I not failing if I don’t love what I’m doing? In my book all the money in the world is not worth settling. You wouldn’t pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for a house that you don’t want to live in. So why should I pay for an education that leads to a briefcase and bland coffee?

I don’t want a cubicle; I want a movie that changes someone’s life. I want to create that moment that inspires someone to stop living the life that they think they should be living and start living the one that they have dreamt of. I want to follow my dream.

Ok, we’ve heard this before; so what’s new about this message? Like Nathan Scott said, this is my life, and the difference is now that it’s here.


*Nathan Scott is James Lafferty’s character on One Tree Hill (I keep telling you guys to watch this; so I am assuming you already knew this). 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Taylor, I'm really glad that you posted this, because that's what I'm going through with my granddad. He wants me to be able to get a job that makes money so I can be secure. While that's all well and good, I want to follow my dream to be a marine biologist one day, he doesn't approve. But I agree with you, that we should follow what our dreams are for that's why we dream, so we can achieve and do what makes us happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. I have been thinking a lot about many things also lately. I can't wait to see what college brings!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...