Saturday, January 19, 2013

I Can Lift a Car (Part 1)

Do you ever have those days with so many consecutive unfortunate occurrences that you stop believing the day could get better? Those days where everything goes wrong. And you start to wonder what you did to deserve it, but at the end of the day, it doesn’t really matter, does it? We want answers to anything and everything; we’re curious by nature. While it might be comforting to be all-knowing, it isn’t why it happens that matters; it’s what we do with what it is that matters.

My afternoon started with the gas pump sticking and gasoline pouring all over the ground/on my car. So I run inside explaining I’ve already paid, but the gas spilled and I don’t even know what just happened. Luckily the guy was super understanding about it, and even gave me a code for a carwash to clean it up. But after sitting in the line, I realize the person in front of me is struggling to get on the track. The car starts jumping around trying to get its front wheel over, and pretty soon it’s in the actual wash part diagonally. After a few moments, I realize the driver has no idea what to do; the lady behind me is texting as I try to get her attention, and I can’t get out of my car. Thank God for technology, I looked up the phone number to the gas station and told them what happened.

“This is Kyle, how can I help you?”

Real reply: “Hi, Kyle. The person in front of me couldn’t get on the track, and is now stuck in the car wash.”
In my head: Hi, Kyle. I’ve just given up all hope on humanity as the middle-aged woman in front of me just spun out in a car wash. I know, I know, it can be difficult to get on the track; these things are tough—not that tough.

“I’ll be right out,” the voice at the other end of the conversation replies, nonchalantly.

Yeah, no big deal. I’M JUST STUCK IN THE CARWASH.

Finally, the lady two cars behind me gets out to see what’s going on, because apparently Kyle didn’t know how to fix it by himself and we’re still sitting there. So I explain I have to leave, and five cars behind me have to back up, so I can get out.

Frazzled and late, I rushed home to get ready for my night of adventure. I’ll leave you with this: I didn’t give up on humanity just yet. I knew there was still hope. And little did I know, I was about to have one of the best nights of my life. One that had me throwing all of the bad crap from the week away, and shouting “I can lift a car.”

To be continued. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...